If you’re looking for an easy bread to make & bake, then you knead.. err, need this recipe! Amish Sweet Bread isn’t a dessert bread, but rather a soft yet dense bread that’s great toasted with butter or soft with your favorite jam or jelly.
A few process notes: We combined our flour and yeast mixture using a Kitchen-Aid Stand Mixer with a dough hook. While the recipe gives an estimate of flour, we used 5 ½ of all-purpose flour and worked the rest of the flour into the dough during the kneading process. Also, this is a great bread to make with the kids! They love adding flour to the mixer & kneading dough.
Amish Sweet Bread Ingredients:
- 2 cups water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons yeast
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 5 ½ to 6 cups of all-purpose flour
- Heat two cups of water to 110° F and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar to the water and stir it until the sugar is mostly dissolved.
- Next, add the yeast to the sugar water and let it sit for exactly 10 minutes. You’ll notice that it becomes frothy.
- After 10 minutes, mix in the oil and salt to the yeast liquid.
- Slowly add one cup of flour at a time to your liquid, noting that there’s a chance you won’t use all the flour. The dough needs to be a consistency that is not sticky and forms a ball.
- Once the dough forms a ball, it’s time to knead the dough. Cover your surface with flour before you begin, then place the dough on the floured surface. If the dough starts to feel sticky, sprinkle it with flour and continue to work it into the dough as you knead.
- Spray a large bowl with non-stick cooking oil and place the dough into the bowl to rise. Cover the bowl with a damp tea towel and allow to rise for about one hour or until it has doubled in size.
- After the hour, punch the middle part of the risen dough and pull it from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide the dough in half and place each in a greased bread loaf pan.
- Allow the loaves to again rise for about 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350° degrees and bake for about 30 minutes or until thoroughly cooked.
Allow to cool before slicing & enjoy with your favorite jams, jellies, and butters!